Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to improve

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree to everything ypou say Dave but still how did this get to a us vs them post?

i wasn't going to post this but i decided i would.

instead of looking at the two sites as seperate and rivals, why can't we just look at them as different. we are all a small community and are generally close, whether here or there.

we also have many people there mike that just jump in on give aways, alot if very inactive members do this and ****ed if they aren't the ones that win.

i guess i look at it differently because i have been on both sites as long as the other. i have accumulated well over 800 documented feedbacks between the two and tons more that weren't ever posted.

i just think you shouldn't force a change here. i think things are what they are. you have a core group that trades here only and some that trade both places. if the other site is thought of as an alien baby, you may lose some of the people who do trade here now and then. i think for what this site is, it won't get much different, nor do i think it needs to.

these are just my opinions and no disrespect was meant, so i hope no one took offense to anything i said.
    dave

SCF Rewards
    Country

John I'm sorry you feel this way, I think the main reason its difficult sometime to find a trade is that most racing traderas do only collect racing. I know that is the way for me and my two girls. And being a Gordon collector you find thaqt most are higher in value then most. Sometimes one must expand. I was once just a driver collector but have expanded into collecting base sets also. I like the art of trading and will for the most part try to work something out. Always ways to make good trade bait to help another out. Some of us just send out the cards others need. I think about every racer that has spoke in this thread have done that at one time or another. Hope you can come back in and see what we can all do sometime.

Mike

I am an older collector and have enjoyed trading on this site (as well as buying). I do buy a few things on EBAY but do not trade on any other site. So I can't speak to the problem (if any) between this site an another.
    What I can speak to is this site. I am primarily a vintage collector (baseball) as I lost my interest for baseball after the 1994 strike. I collect former KU players (basketball) and Jeff Gordon in Nascar and have a rather large collection of diecast (1/24). I am a huge NASCAR fan and watch it every week. Now I get to where I have difficulties on this site.
    In the other forums on this site I have found it very easy to trade for what I need. There is a lot of cross trading. In the football forum I have been able to trade for baseball, basketball and even racing; however, when you can get to the racing forum it is different. A lot of members only collect nascar. The fact that I only collect Jeff Gordon makes that situation worst (don't have anything in racing they want). Some then look at it and say-- well you don't have any trades in this forum, so you don't belong in this forum.
    Two years ago I watched this forum start up a Yahoo Fantasy Racing League. Last year I joined that league and was lucky enough to have won it. After some of the problems I encountered after that last year, I decided that I was not wanted there and have pretty much stayed away.
    I still trade for some racing occassionally on this site, but normally in a different forum.
    I have not tried to step on any ones toes and hope that I have not offended anyone, but wanted to add my perspective. GOOD LUCK!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mogarandfan's Items on eBay

How this reached a us againest them type of post I don't know, was just looking for some ways to improve.

That would be my fault because I brought it up as one of the areas I thought could be improved. I'm sure there are other areas to be addressed, but Mike you can't deny that with as many post as there have been on the topic that this is an issue with many here. I'll grant you that it's not as bad as Beckett where the mere mention of any other site will get you banned for life, but to many it has been a problem. 'Nuf said.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    NUTS (141)
    Country
    See ajlee72's Items on eBay

I thought I'd chime in, I don't post much on here, but most of the racing people know me, and have traded with me over the years. I think part of what holds the board back a bit (racing section) is the fact that there are other sports boards. I know some great collectors that do multiple sports, and this is what this board is made for...but it's just the nature of the beast, this board can't ever feel comortable like a small "racing only" board would to somebody like me. It doesn't even have to be a bad thing, it just is what it is. Thought's on a few of the other points...

I've seen alot of members that poke around and come in to play our contests,

that bugs me on ANY board...I don't know if you can ever get rid of it other than to put "minimum post" requirements on contests. I read here daily, but don't post often...so I don't enter

they come around to get in on the cheap case breaks

to a certain extent you need volume or the case breaks would kinda wither and die. alot of times your biggest box breaker doesn't offer stuff either except to ebay...and that person is only on this site if I'm not mistaken. I do sometimes partake in the case break, but it's not often. I bought 4 boxes of PP2 since Les had somebody back out and I thought maybe it would help out. Anything from those boxes will be gladly available (except plates and prospect pieces sigs...PC :))

but yet they take their main focus of trading else wheres.

this one applies bigtime to me. I do almost all of my trades elsewhere and it is for a very simple reason. RESPECT. Any of the racing community who has been around for a minute has dealt with me, or atleast knows that I'm a solid trader. I have perfect feedback on ebay, and on any trading site I've ever been on. I've known some of you for 5-6 years and have always held up my end of trades. Even times when my trading partner has tried to bone me...yet I have to send first here. Can ya really blame me for conducting my business elsewhere? It just doesn't sit well with me. I understand that a bigger board means it needs more rules and more policing...but you don't swat a fly with a sledgehammer. I've had a couple instances here where I felt like I was the fly.

I'll shut up now...thanks for the forum to say my piece.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Browns Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics
    See jonsdoe1432's Items on eBay

I thought I'd chime in, I don't post much on here, but most of the racing people know me, and have traded with me over the years. I think part of what holds the board back a bit (racing section) is the fact that there are other sports boards. I know some great collectors that do multiple sports, and this is what this board is made for...but it's just the nature of the beast, this board can't ever feel comortable like a small "racing only" board would to somebody like me. It doesn't even have to be a bad thing, it just is what it is. Thought's on a few of the other points...

I've seen alot of members that poke around and come in to play our contests,

that bugs me on ANY board...I don't know if you can ever get rid of it other than to put "minimum post" requirements on contests. I read here daily, but don't post often...so I don't enter

they come around to get in on the cheap case breaks

to a certain extent you need volume or the case breaks would kinda wither and die. alot of times your biggest box breaker doesn't offer stuff either except to ebay...and that person is only on this site if I'm not mistaken. I do sometimes partake in the case break, but it's not often. I bought 4 boxes of PP2 since Les had somebody back out and I thought maybe it would help out. Anything from those boxes will be gladly available (except plates and prospect pieces sigs...PC :))

but yet they take their main focus of trading else wheres.

this one applies bigtime to me. I do almost all of my trades elsewhere and it is for a very simple reason. RESPECT. Any of the racing community who has been around for a minute has dealt with me, or atleast knows that I'm a solid trader. I have perfect feedback on ebay, and on any trading site I've ever been on. I've known some of you for 5-6 years and have always held up my end of trades. Even times when my trading partner has tried to bone me...yet I have to send first here. Can ya really blame me for conducting my business elsewhere? It just doesn't sit well with me. I understand that a bigger board means it needs more rules and more policing...but you don't swat a fly with a sledgehammer. I've had a couple instances here where I felt like I was the fly.

I'll shut up now...thanks for the forum to say my piece.

Very well said Dan I agree you with 100 Percent I really dont like people that dont Bother Posting or trading in the racing section But they Like to Play The contests I really dont Like that ,Many members do that I dont as you can see I dont Enter any conests On here As i am not very active I have some Trades on here But the Only reason I dont come here is all this stick and ball Guys thank you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I used to be big into collecting back in the SCS days before it went down,but as i've gotten older (16 now) i just can't afford to, i buy a few here and there but over the last few years i've been putting my money into what means more to me which is Hunting and fishing. nothing wrong with the site to me, maybe a little strict, but it's mainly just my other hobbies that mean more to me that keep me away from doing any trading here or at other sites.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lea_defoote's Items on eBay

Thanks for asking Mike, the fact that the staff is willing to ask that question tells me that SCF is headed in the right direction. I wish there were something specific that I could point to and say "That's what needs fixing", but I can't put my finger on it. The posting activity and camaraderie between members here in the Racing Forums seems as good as it ever was under SCS or STC, and the features like PM's and Trade Manager make it way better than anything that came before them. Since the merger with STC however, there's a feeling around the overall site that we racing collectors are second class members. I can't point to any specific example, thread or event, it's just a feeling I get. I know the racing forums don't put up the numbers that the big four stick and ball forums do, but as a group we're just as passionate about our sport and our cards as they are. It may be a vocal minority causing it, but there seems to be a "racing's not a real sport" and by extention, "racing collectors aren't real collectors" undertone in the general areas of the site. That would be my only complaint and I think it echoes what several others have already said. Unfortunately, I have no idea what could or even should be done to "fix" it.

Sorry I don't have anything more concrete.

-Tom

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tmorrow1957's Items on eBay

Hi Mike, I don`t think is an us or them thing. Unless I`m reading it wrong. I agree this site could loosen up a bit. Way to many rules. Some seem way to eager to throw their weight around if you know what I mean. And I agree the core members of the racing community have been together for years and we all pretty much know each other. We`ve gotten alot of new blood here also and those guys and gals seem to be top notch people also.

I agree with the contest thing where people come from other boards and win things and run away. They don`t give the racing people a chance to get the stuff they pull. And I see people from the other forums coming to the racing forum asking outrageous prices for stuff they do have they pulled or traded for.

Also when posting on other forums like in discussions and what not we get alot of the other members saying why don`t you go back to the racing forum where you belong. I agree on here we are the small board but on the others we were on the racing board pretty much ruled the sites.

The other forums could show us alittle more respect I think. Racing members post in other forums here get treated like we have no clue what we`re talkin about. I did stick and ball cards way before I started to collect racing cards.

We should do the thing where you have to have so many posts to enter contests in the racing forum. Didn`t we do that before?

Tom

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jereed00's Items on eBay

I think the worst thing that the racing forum could do is to go to somekind of requirement that you have to have so many posts to enter contests in the racing forum. We should all be one BIG HAPPY FAMILY on the Sportscard Forum. We should encourge people to go from one forum to another and not try to isolate one from the other. I collect all sports cards and there are a few on here that do as well. It seems that most of the people here in the racing forum only trade racing cards and that is it. By restricting this forum to those only that trade racing cards, I believe misses a HUGE amount of RACING FANS that are out there.
    I am retired and use to have a card shop. It is in a town of around 125,000 and we had a large Nascar following. Most of them bought diecast (1/24, some 1/64), a lot of hats, jackets, T-shirts and stickers, but I must admit that we did not sell a lot of nascar cards. We usually took two boxes of each, but most of the time had problems selling them. Our town is now down to only two sports card shop and neither one sells racing cards. The one shop does sell Nascar, but no cards. My point is, that if we tend to focus entirely on the cards part, I believe we miss the LARGEST GROUP in NASCAR that are just racing fans. That is what I would like to see this forum do, and I think that it could grow and be a true RACING FORUM!
    Collect VINTAGE BASEBALL (Prior to 1970 ) and former Kansas University Basketball Players that I need.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See nyhddb's Items on eBay

i agree and disagree with alot of things posted. what i take pride in is the closeness the other collectors don't have. what we need to remember is our sets are 100 cards plus inserts and they can be completed in no time with trades here or there.

we don't have 800 card sets (thank god) so usually trading is big the first week to week and a half after a product comes out. after that it slows down dramatically, as we all know. now some sets take some work to finish (i still need 5 more black and whites), but for the most part they get done quick.

where i feel a mis statement was made is we aren't true collectors. if that was the case, i never would have made beckets first supercollector in their newest magazine monthly. i pride myself on that because i feel i represented the entire racing community. even if it wasn't tom or mike or les, we all should be able to take that as a shout out to the racing collectors. we are proud and loyal to our hobby and eachother.

so mike, i guess what i am saying is there really isn't much that needs changed or that can be changed here. we should be happy we have this site and others, to trade on and enjoy.

dave

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast