Why are rookie cards so special?

Okay, so I've been collecting cards for almost 10 years now, and I've gotta ask...why do rookie cards get priced so high? I've seen cards from the very last product of a rookie year get priced really high, and then a month later, the "next year's" product is only worth a few bucks.

Help me explain why rookie cards can be priced so high! For instance, I have a Topps Chrome RC of Lebron James. The Beckett value? $80. The card is not numbered, you get a RC per pack...are they just rare even though they're not numbered?

Please let me know what you think.

-Ben

2. Check out the deals at Bear Ridge Collectibles eBay Store
    Because there's only one rookie year, every non AU/GU/#'d/etc. after that is just a base card

that 03-04 set had a fairly decent amount of RCs and it was not a RC in every pack for that set. Heck even now you can bust a box at the insane prices from that year and get a Lebron and come no where near breaking even.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan23 View Post
    Because there's only one rookie year, every non AU/GU/#'d/etc. after that is just a base card
    Well right, but why does the rookie year make SO MUCH of a difference? It can make an autograph from the same player 4x as much!

Everyone wants to be first, and RCs are the first cards, so naturally, everyone wants one, therefore the price increases...that's basically the way I look at it.

I guess. But still, it's all about the year it says on the card. Two products separated by a month will have drastically different prices if one of them is from "the previous year".

Another thing to add - Just like our year is from Jan-Dec, the basketball year is from Aug-May (for releases)...and, the higher-end products tend to be released at the end of the year, thus making the latest releases worth more (usually).

you gotsa go with the rookies!!!
    especially those sickkkkning refractors!
    YEAHHHH baby