Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

The Spoiled Children of Capitalism

Just found this editorial, almost a year old now, but still very, very true:

The Spoiled Children of Capitalism

It’s an old story. Loving parents provide a generous environment for their offspring. Kids are given not only ample food, clothing and shelter, but the emotional necessities as well: encouragement, discipline, self-reliance, the ability to work with others and on their own. And yet, in due course, the kids rebel. Some even say their parents never loved them, that they were unfair, indifferent, cruel. Often, such protests are sparked by parents’ refusal to be even more generous. I want a car, demands the child. Work for it, insist the parents. Why do you hate me? asks the ingrate...

...And so it goes, I think, with capitalism generally.

Capitalism is the greatest system ever created for alleviating general human misery, and yet it breeds ingratitude.

People ask, “Why is there poverty in the world?” It’s a silly question. Poverty is the default human condition. It is the factory preset of this mortal coil. As individuals and as a species, we are born naked and penniless, bereft of skills or possessions. Likewise, in his civilizational infancy man was poor, in every sense. He lived in ignorance, filth, hunger, and pain, and he died very young, either by violence or disease.

The interesting question isn’t “Why is there poverty?” It’s “Why is there wealth?” Or: “Why is there prosperity here but not there?”

At the end of the day, the first answer is capitalism, rightly understood. That is to say: free markets, private property, the spirit of entrepreneurialism and the conviction that the fruits of your labors are your own.

Very good read

SCF Rewards
    Country

Really good article. It is true and it is sad most of the time. I have known people that were spoiled at one point and I saw this happened to my friends. They had everything, best cars, clolthes and money to hang out.

There should no be poverty in the world as some nations/people can get together and help.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Really good article. It is true and it is sad most of the time. I have known people that were spoiled at one point and I saw this happened to my friends. They had everything, best cars, clolthes and money to hang out.

There should no be poverty in the world as some nations/people can get together and help.

Actually part of the article is that there should be some poverty in the world...not because it's a good thing or anything like that, but because that's the default. You have to succeed to get out of poverty, but poverty is the status quo of simply being alive.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have qualms about the last part of the last sentence. Alienation still exists, and always will in capitalism. I don't want to get into the whole argument, but certain political thought has cloaked, if not supressed, such a consciousness in our labor. "Private property" is a whole other issue as well...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Interesting "shout out" to capitalism, but capitalism works b/c it mirrors the human condition of greed and competition. We have seen what happens when capitalism runs w/ little gov't. intervention as it did during the industrial revolution and earlier. Capitalism works but it also promotes disparities, as the author points out.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Interesting "shout out" to capitalism, but capitalism works b/c it mirrors the human condition of greed and competition. We have seen what happens when capitalism runs w/ little gov't. intervention as it did during the industrial revolution and earlier. Capitalism works but it also promotes disparities, as the author points out.

Do you really want to use the industrial revolution as a argument against capitalism? One of the greatest expansions economically, technologically, and in many other ways the world has ever seen?

Some people look at it as promoting disparities...I (and the author) look at it as rewarding success. As he states, poverty is the default, wealth is the reward for success. It is not a matter of making the rich richer and the poor poorer, as a lot of people like to call it, but rather properly rewarding the successful with little to no rewards to the unsuccessful. It's not a conscience attempt to increase the disparities, but the difference is magnified in comparison.

I would much rather reward the successful and let the unsuccessful remain at the default until they are able to succeed than punish the successful and reward the unsuccessful, as the current administration wants to do.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do you really want to use the industrial revolution as a argument against capitalism? One of the greatest expansions economically, technologically, and in many other ways the world has ever seen?

Some people look at it as promoting disparities...I (and the author) look at it as rewarding success. As he states, poverty is the default, wealth is the reward for success. It is not a matter of making the rich richer and the poor poorer, as a lot of people like to call it, but rather properly rewarding the successful with little to no rewards to the unsuccessful. It's not a conscience attempt to increase the disparities, but the difference is magnified in comparison.

I would much rather reward the successful and let the unsuccessful remain at the default until they are able to succeed than punish the successful and reward the unsuccessful, as the current administration wants to do.

No, my point was that capitalism requires gov't intervention or those w/ wealth will abuse and take advantage of those in need.

Those who are successful usaully are the ones that start off wealthy to begin with. The rags to riches stories are few and far between.

Education can bridge the gap but often that depends on the concentration chosen and who one knows upon graduation.

I'm not against capitalism I just don't believe it to be perfect.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

No, my point was that capitalism requires gov't intervention or those w/ wealth will abuse and take advantage of those in need.

Those who are successful usaully are the ones that start off wealthy to begin with. The rags to riches stories are few and far between.

Education can bridge the gap but often that depends on the concentration chosen and who one knows upon graduation.

I'm not against capitalism I just don't believe it to be perfect.

Well, I look at it differently. The majority of charity contributions are from the wealthy. There are cases where the wealthy take advantage of the poor, but I definitely don't think that's the majority...in fact, I guarantee the rich do much more good for the poor than bad.

And I definitely don't think government intervention is the answer. Yes, there need to be certain laws in place, most of which were a long time ago, to avoid injustices...but being wealthy and making a profit is not an injustice, even though many people today, including many politicians, would like you to think so. The government micro-regulating corporations and increasing the cost of business in America through regulations, corporate taxes, increased minimum wage, etc are what is causing American jobs and companies to move overseas. And it is not capitalism...we're veering farther and farther away from capitalism and free enterprise, the system that made this country what it is, everyday towards the system that made the USSR what it was.

And capitalism may not be perfect (although some think it's close), but it's by far the best available option.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well, I look at it differently. The majority of charity contributions are from the wealthy. There are cases where the wealthy take advantage of the poor, but I definitely don't think that's the majority...in fact, I guarantee the rich do much more good for the poor than bad.

And I definitely don't think government intervention is the answer. Yes, there need to be certain laws in place, most of which were a long time ago, to avoid injustices...but being wealthy and making a profit is not an injustice, even though many people today, including many politicians, would like you to think so. The government micro-regulating corporations and increasing the cost of business in America through regulations, corporate taxes, increased minimum wage, etc are what is causing American jobs and companies to move overseas. And it is not capitalism...we're veering farther and farther away from capitalism and free enterprise, the system that made this country what it is, everyday towards the system that made the USSR what it was.

And capitalism may not be perfect (although some think it's close), but it's by far the best available option.

This where I disagree. In my opinion the wealthy give for good press or for tax breaks, not for caring or compassion.

While I don't feel a turning a profit is crime I think the gov't trying to spread the wealth is a benfit for the lower class and less wealthy. The gov't takes those actions b/c the wealthy are justing getting richer while the middle class is shrinking.

Some companies leave to stay in business while others re-locate to raise profits so CEO's and board members can make ten's of millions. The money could still be made if jobs were kept in the U.S. but that would mean those in power would make a couple of dollars less.

While not perfect, capitalism supports who we are-greedy and competitive beasts.lol

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This where I disagree. In my opinion the wealthy give for good press or for tax breaks, not for caring or compassion.

While I don't feel a turning a profit is crime I think the gov't trying to spread the wealth is a benfit for the lower class and less wealthy. The gov't takes those actions b/c the wealthy are justing getting richer while the middle class is shrinking.

Some companies leave to stay in business while others re-locate to raise profits so CEO's and board members can make ten's of millions. The money could still be made if jobs were kept in the U.S. but that would mean those in power would make a couple of dollars less.

While not perfect, capitalism supports who we are-greedy and competitive beasts.lol

See, I don't understand why people always assume the rich don't genuinely want to help the poor. No matter how much they give or do, it's always for the tax break or some other benefit to them. I'm sure that's an added incentive, but that's not the main motivation. That's just another result of the left and the media (basically the same thing) continually demonizing the rich.

I know a lot of people are into the redistribution of wealth...I'm not. I don't understand where this idea that we should take from people who have succeeded and give to people who have not came from. Why does someone deserve to take from someone else just because they have more? If you're poor and your neighbor is wealthy, do you think he should write you a check every month just because he has more than you? I don't get it and I never will...but I guess I better get used to it because that's where we're heading.

Some people are greedy...but many are simply ambitious and there's nothing wrong with that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast