Thread: eBay Issue Question

eBay Issue Question

Hey I have an issue on eBay that I've never encountered before but I'm sure some of you have. I sold a Steve McNair JSY card on 7-5 for over $20. The winning bidder has not paid yet and it's been over a week. I tried e-mailing and calling him but no response. This morning I get an e-mail from him saying this:

"There was a mistake on the bid for the card. There's no way for me to pay that much for it. Is there a way that we can work on a price that's fair for both of us? Obviously there has been a huge mistake."

For one that sounds like BS to me and I checked the bids on the card and the 2nd highest bidder only bid one dollar less than the final winning price. So my question is, what do I do? File a claim with eBay? It also says I can give a second chance offer to another bidder which I have never done before. Should I do that? Thanks for the help.
    Hidden Content - use drop down box to view other albums
    Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector - I collect Lucky 13 Football RCs, Texas Longhorns/Miami Hurricanes/Virginia Tech Hokies/Virginia Cavaliers alum RC/GU/AU in college uni. Also like current Redskins and Braves RC/GU/AU, and Roger Federer

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    I'd sell the card to the next highest bidder. You could file a dispute but since the next highest bid is only $1 less than the winning bid it would be simpler to just sell the card to the second place bidder.

I've never tried the second chance offer option. I usually just file a non paying bidder report with ebay and get my fees back. Since ebay stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback I have had alot more non payers. Ebay will give the buyer a non paying bidder strike. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. So just do the second chance offer option? I hope he still wants the card after waiting this long though. And in regards to second chance offers, does eBay always have this option if a listing has more than one bidder?
    Brian Orakpo/Sean Taylor/Craig Kimbrel Super Collector - I collect Lucky 13 Football RCs, Texas Longhorns/Miami Hurricanes/Virginia Tech Hokies/Virginia Cavaliers alum RC/GU/AU in college uni. Also like current Redskins and Braves RC/GU/AU, and Roger Federer

Yes, make sure that Ebay is aware of the situation so that he gets a strike against him. And then sell it to the next highest bidder.

2 important things to remember:

Since you can't leave negative feedback for the buyer, you must go through this process to make sure that he doesn't continue to do it to someone else.

and secondly, the price has been set, there are no negotiations afterwards. Ebay needs to be aware of his attempt to do this. This is worse than a non-paying strike, it is a breach of Ebay policy and they will give him a stiff warning followed by a suspension next time. The negotiations were part of the bidding process, not something that happens afterwards.

Do this not just for you, but for all of us who sell.

You are basically screwed and ebay doesnt care at all. McNairs peaked and then dropped like a rock. he sees that he can get the same card for $1 now. dont bother with the 2nd chance offers because they will all see that the price is too high for the card now. just tell the guy that you know he is completely full of it and not to mention a complete A*Shole. This happens all the time when stuff gets hot and the price moves drastically. Ebay sucks. they know it happens and they just dont care.
    Here is a Link to my Photobucket PC and trade stuff. Hidden Content

Here is the link to my set Needs List.
    Hidden Content

ive done the second chance offer twice and it makes it easier.i just write the person a message stating what happened just so they know

Quote Originally Posted by Titantron View Post
    You are basically screwed and ebay doesnt care at all. McNairs peaked and then dropped like a rock. he sees that he can get the same card for $1 now. dont bother with the 2nd chance offers because they will all see that the price is too high for the card now. just tell the guy that you know he is completely full of it and not to mention a complete A*Shole. This happens all the time when stuff gets hot and the price moves drastically. Ebay sucks. they know it happens and they just dont care.
    What you say is true, but what does the seller have to lose if he sends out a second chance offer? He can still give the original winner a strike, and maybe the runner up does want the card. Nothing to lose by sending out a second chance offer, if its declined, you still have the card.

I filed a case on this today. It says he has a week to respond or else he will be issued a non paying strike and after that time I can issue a second chance offer to another bidder.