Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pack and Box Searching

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See coltsfantn's Items on eBay

Pack and Box Searching

Why does it make people so angry when others find out ways to pack and box search to guarantee good cards? I personally don't think it is a big deal, but I understand that other people get extremely mad about this and I want to hear the reasons why. To me, it just seems like some people have figured out a way to get better cards with far less risk. Personally, when I buy retail packs I pack search and I get inserts 100% of the time (at least at wal mart). Ihave never had the money to do this with a whole case, but I would just like to know that I am going to get something that makes me happy and so that I don't feel like I have wasted my money.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You must be a bad pack searcher, haha. It is bad because it can ruin the hobby. Especially when you help run a hobby shop like I do and you sometime get kids and people buying packs and getting nothing when one person pack searches and ruins the fun. Yes, it can be good because you can get something good for cheap but it is kind of low to do.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See coltsfantn's Items on eBay

You must be a bad pack searcher, haha. It is bad because it can ruin the hobby. Especially when you help run a hobby shop like I do and you sometime get kids and people buying packs and getting nothing when one person pack searches and ruins the fun. Yes, it can be good because you can get something good for cheap but it is kind of low to do.

WHy must I be a bad pack searcher? And thank you for your input. I do somewhat see that it could ruin it at hobby shops. Unfortunately though, retail stores make it so easy to do and make sure you get something worth your while. The only product I even do this on is retail packs of Donruss Elite Football 09. I have never done it nor tried on any other product at all and I found out by sheer luck.

Country

If you want to get your money's worth when buying cards then you buy singles. Chances are high that the kids going into the same retail stores that you search packs in are not as good as you are at searching packs. In that case then you are searching packs and getting the good cards out of them for your 3$ and the 8 year old kids going in there are going to be left with crap and think that the hobby is a waste of time and money. Which in turn will ruin the future customer base that this hobby will need to survive. Eventually with all these kids going into target and spending 3$ for a bunch of base cards every time is going to turn them off the hobby, and with less customers then cards will be worth less. long story short by pack searching your stealing from kids and ruining the hobby that we love.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I will never buy the "it ruins it for the kids" argument. The kids aren't victims. If I get first crack at a box or packs, I'll buy the ones I like.

I just think it is funny how, in a hobby where chance and luck play an almost central role, people want to keep it fair. Fairness has nothing to do with luck and chance of packs/boxes; in fact, the concept of fairness is inapplicable. And I don't buy the argument that buying the packs/boxes we think has a hit ruins the chances for others. First come, first serve would fall under the same argument because it only applies to hindsight. Maybe someone didn't pack search, but they got the hit. Then the kid with his little money strolls in and gets all base, and there is no one to blame. The argument is double-edged, as the oxymoron of "the fairness of luck" is only applied subjectively afterwards.

If kids get base in a pack and it turns them off, it is a reflection of sentiments derivative of the hobby, not of the kids themselves. They see what the hobby has become, and all they want are the GUs and Autos. But the already astronomical odds in retail promise little to nothing any way, so "that they only have such and such amount of $" doesn't fly if they perceive the hobby to be all about GUs and Autos any way. They would be sorely disappointed, and it is of little fault on alleged pack searchers at that point in terms of the perception of the hobby and the mediums most kids can afford. They walk into it with a skewed mindset and it becomes a cycle to perpetuate those ideas.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sp0odini's Items on eBay

I'll let you guys talk about this constructively but the first person to start insulting or causing flaming will get this thread closed and will be getting a PM from me.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Why does it make people so angry when others find out ways to pack and box search to guarantee good cards? I personally don't think it is a big deal, but I understand that other people get extremely mad about this and I want to hear the reasons why. To me, it just seems like some people have figured out a way to get better cards with far less risk. Personally, when I buy retail packs I pack search and I get inserts 100% of the time (at least at wal mart). Ihave never had the money to do this with a whole case, but I would just like to know that I am going to get something that makes me happy and so that I don't feel like I have wasted my money.

How are you pack searching? Do you feel the packs or are you opening them?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See fromtrashtotreasurechris's Items on eBay

How are you pack searching? Do you feel the packs or are you opening them?

thats a great question, because IMO if the packs are being opened (and not purchased) then thats considered stealing, but if you are just feeling them, well then you really have to just live by your own convictions.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

So can I admit to pack searching in this thread? I still take a gamble sometimes doing it on SPA buying the 3 fat packs in hopes of getting a Auto Patch but most likely I'll get all base. Trilogy is easy to pick the IceScript however most of the best are redemptions which are the same as spacers and FIT along with the Tri Colour Tandems or Trilogy Rivals jersey cards. Artifacts is very tough but probably doable with help. SPx is easy this year to pick the packs with the jersey cards. ITG BTP and ITG HP are easy to pack search the memorabilia. One member told me a fool proof way to pack search retail UD Series 1 and 2 though I forget and the PM may be lost.

Honestly though I only do it on products that are easy to do it with and figure why not. I actually bought 4 packs of 07/08 ITG HP and knew exactly which pack had a jersey or patch. Could've just bought that one pack for $5 but still spent $20 knowing I wouldn't get anything in the other 3 packs. Same with SPx where I bought a couple of base packs along with 2 jersey packs.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

thats a great question, because IMO if the packs are being opened (and not purchased) then thats considered stealing, but if you are just feeling them, well then you really have to just live by your own convictions.

Don't need to open them to pack search just feel them. Why do you think Upper Deck bothers with spacers? To try and stop pack searching but still buy a box and get a scale and you'd easily be able to pack search most products. I haven't tried the scale but I might buy a box of something like Artifacts and do it.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast