Thread: to grade or not to grade

to grade or not to grade

that is the question?

i have a complete set of 1988-89 fleer. should i keep it as a complete set, or individually grade certain cards?

jordan
    jordan as
    r miller rc
    d rodman rc
    s pippen rc
    j stockton rc

lmk thanks, russ

If the stars and rookies are in mint shape, have them graded. You can always sell the set if you wanted to with the graded cards and if they come up 9's or better can add a lot to your price.

dont bother
    pre-90's cards often dont grade so well, on top of that none of those RCs are too high except for the pippen...keep it as a set

Like bdrr said, pre-90's don't usually grade too well. My friend had a ton of those 88-89 Fleer cards that he got from packs back then and they just aren't well manufactured cards in the first place. The set as a whole is more worth it!

I too have the entire 1988-89 fleer set

First, the centering is tough; as quite a few of fairly off centered so that you might end up with PSA 7s

The cards are easy to keep mint with respect to corners, as they're pretty durable

But the centering on that year was just plain terrible.

I do not think I have any Jordans that are 50/50. At best, it's 60-40.

I also have quite a few Star cards from 1985-1986, but these are much better with respect to centering

i wouldnt grade it because of the fact that before the 90's cards came out in bad condition and bad centering ect...

Very true about the centering on those Fleer sets. I have quite a few sets, that I pulled from wax back then, and when I look at them today, I can't believe how many are off-centered...

only get them garded if they are in good shape