Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See DrivetheGreen66's Items on eBay

What can I do about this???......Burn the card????

I'm the one who contacted you. Did you end up selling the card.

BANNED

Transferred Feedback
    HI (4)
    Country

Oh okay,
    I did not think the card could be a fake, I let it ride in auction and it did sell.
    I am going to contact the buyer about this and show him/her the evidence you all have provided for me about this and issue a refund.
    I don't remember exactly whom I recieved this card from but I do remember it was from Europe, the Czech Republic I think.
    Thank you for all your time and help.
    Thanks!!!

I'm the one who contacted you. Did you end up selling the card.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins New York Yankees Chicago Bears
    See hawaiianshirtday23's Items on eBay

This thread has definitely made me paranoid about buying nice patches on eBay. Two questions though ...

1. Not to sound like a 5 year old, but ... How do these guys do it? How can they remove the patches that are firmly affixed, then add new patches without ruining the cards? Ethics aside, I would be terrified to ruin a great card, especially that The Cup Stamkos.

2. It would be great if card companies released master lists/photo checklists of the serial numbered cards with patches. It would certainly cut back on fakes, since you could cross check the legitimacy of the card. It would make a nice coffee table book, if nothing else. No card company currently does that, do they?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Vegas Golden Knights
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The company doesn't, but gomaz on here went and took pics of all of the The Cup patches before they were packed, that's how we know, for example, the Goligoski is a fake.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jaccob Slavin, Ryan Dzingel, Brogan Rafferty, Derek Whitmore, Blackhawks, & 2003-04
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Dany Heatley Patch

I recently bought this one on ebay, I had my doubts at that moment but I decided to take my chances, after all I didn't unload a big bunch of money on this. Anyway now that the card is in my hands questions have come to arise once again. I really appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Professional Paper-Hangers don't need a constant supply of originals. They only need one.

They can suss out ink colours, pantone colours, and colour saturation. They do this first. The they copy the exact card stock, thinkness, feel, etc. They then look for print runs on eBay early in the life of the cards, say a new release. Simple copy of the signature is easy. Re-run fresh ink over an outlined signature and your in business.

They simply wait a year after the original is sold, and then launch the fake. The tough part for me is the construction of the patch itself. Perhaps they buy fake jerseys and use that material.

Needless to say, a pro can get this pretty damn exact. And if you consider completely changing the patch from the original, then you could buy a fake jersey and get 50 patches or more out of it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is the first time I read about this practice ! What I can say !?!? Crazy !

Ebay is crazy.

First was fake autographs, then fake unlicensed cards sets (Crosby RC cards, Russian cards, etc), then reprints of vintage RCs (I've seen a RP OPC 86-87 Roy going for 45$!), and now repatches cards !

Like centrehice said, in 2010 with all that technology, they can do anything. Especially when cards goes for 500$-1000$ and even 10 000$ !!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yesterday mwdonald (of Hobby Insider) sent me a picture of the fake and asked that I check on it. I did, and here is what I found.

The Original:

The Fake:

I dont know about the serial numbers because the picture is not good but when you look at the signature, I think its the same. Nobody can sign twice with no difference ! In 1995, I got TTM a Gretzky autograph ... and a other one in 2005, 10 years after. The auto is the same, no F.... difference, not even minors ! Now I know it was autopen autographs.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Captngeetch's Items on eBay

That's two different Stamkos cards...58 and 59

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mwdonald's Items on eBay

That's two different Stamkos cards...58 and 59

Come on guys. It doesn't get much more obvious than this. Anyway, the buyer of the repatched card has returned the card to the seller who admitted to repatching the card himself and the buyer has been issued a refund for his money order. It only took 2 months to go through the entire process, but it's nice to know you will get your money back when something like this happens.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast