Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post Pacific Sold (The Card Company)

http://www.beckett.com/iforum/view.a...&forumPageNo=4

Taken from the Beckett.com e-newsletter

Pacific Trading Cards Sold
    9/28/2004 1:51:54 PM

The Crown Royale has passed to another head. So too has the Prism, the Titanium, the Private Stock and the Luxury Suite.

Hobby veteran Mike Cramer confirmed today to Beckett Hockey that he has sold his company, Pacific Trading Cards, to another industry entity. Terms were not disclosed. Neither was the name of the purchaser.

"I don't want to say who right now, because they'll want to make their own announcement," Cramer said. "But it's one of the other card companies."

The transaction involved 13 brand names used in the past by Pacific in the manufacture of hockey products. According to Cramer, the purchaser intends to continue the Pacific legacy by creating hockey cards under those brand names.

"Every company came around and checked us out," he says. "They saw we had quite a following, and that our name had value. [Selling the names] was the best way to do this. Pacific will surivive as a brand. The new owners have other irons in the fire. They can wait it out until hockey comes out [of its ongoing labor disruption] and they'll be in a good position to make a go of it.""

As for Cramer, a pioneer of the hobby's early days, this marks the end of his involvement in the industry as a manufacturer.

"For me, it's sayonara," he says. "I'll still be around as a collector. I still have one of the premier baseball card collections in the world. But I'm out of it entirely on this end."

After nearly 20 years on the manufacturing side of the equation, Cramer says the transition won't be easy.

"On the one hand, I'm sad," he says. "I'll miss all the business relationships and friendships. Some of the best times I've ever had were in this business.

"But as someone who's been in this for so long, I could see the writing was on the wall. We couldn't make a go of it with no products to produce."

So, who is the purchaser? Speculation focuses directly on Arlington, Texas-based Donruss/Playoff. The company, which has established itself as a dominant force in the baseball and football markets, is flush with cash and is in an excellent position to take on a new challenge in the hockey market. It also has long been rumored to be interested in expanding into the hockey and basketball markets.

A company spokesman chose not to comment on the story at this time.

Upper Deck is also in strong financial position, but with a healthy stable of its own hockey brands, it would be surprising to see it add the Pacific brands. A recent call for comment has not yet been returned.

Former NHL and NHLPA licensee Fleer is considered an extreme darkhorse in the derby, based on the company's previous unsatisfactory involvement with hockey trading cards.
    Peter Sawkins of Topps and Baron Bedesky of In The Game both denied that their companies were involved in the deal.
    *New* Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kr580's Items on eBay

Re: Pacific Sold (The Card Company)

Originally posted by pwaldo
    Hobby veteran Mike Cramer confirmed today to Beckett Hockey that he has sold his company, Pacific Trading Cards, to another industry entity.

Aaah! That's where the Cramer's Choice comes from...

SCF Rewards
    Country

is this a merger(Pacific unified under another brand) or a complete new company that will take over?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stinga6789's Items on eBay

It was only a matter of time. I remember hearing about their financial issues for a few months now.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimmy-the-saintpsu's Items on eBay

Never been a huge fan of Pacific. The only product I've ever truly enjoyed from them was the 2004 AHL prospects set. Change certainly won't be a bad thing IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Chicago Bears
    Twitter: @Rick Polus

I actually loved Pacific baseball products. They always had real cool looking inserts.

SCF Rewards

Re: Re: Pacific Sold (The Card Company)

Originally posted by kr580
    Aaah! That's where the Cramer's Choice comes from...

i always wondered that too......those were some cool looking baseball cards

i thought it might have been after "Kramer" from Seinfeld LOL.....but that's just my weird thinking

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kr580's Items on eBay

Re: Re: Re: Pacific Sold (The Card Company)

Originally posted by bravesfan86
    i always wondered that too......those were some cool looking baseball cards

i thought it might have been after "Kramer" from Seinfeld LOL.....but that's just my weird thinking

HAHAHA!!! When ever I saw a Cramers Choice card suddenly Kramer popped into my head. Every time! :hop: You're not alone.