Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Response to sktmtimo

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jokeboy's Items on eBay

Arrow Response to sktmtimo

beckett has lost all knowledge of what they are doing
    here are some prices out of the latest basketball beckett
    without even listing what these cards sell for, you should be able to tell something is wrong

00-01 Encore SuperStar Warm-Ups Auto'd Kevin Garnett #ed/21 -$60
    00-01 Finest Memerable Moments Refractor Autos Allen Iverson -$40
    01-02 MVP Game Night Gear Auto'd Kevin Garnett #ed/100 -$50

01-02 Harcourt Spectrum #ed/25 Jordan -$300, Kobe $400 (when Miles still booked $4 base, it would have been $320)
    A similar case of bad multipliers had occurred with 01-02 Showcase where the Kobe Legacy booked $120 with the avant multplier, but the Mike Miller had been as much $125

02-03 SPx Flashback Fabrics Bibby $100, Kidd SP $80

I think that someone else needs to come out with a more accurate

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply. I agree, it is pretty sad when a great card like this:
    00-01 Encore SuperStar Warm-Ups Auto'd Kevin Garnett #ed/21 -$60

Is only booked at $60. I believe they need to raise BV on such issues and start lowering it on common GU and AU cards. It will eventually do the hobby good.

Tim

SCF Rewards

you see, the value of cards are subjective.

A card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

How can another new company do better than Beckett?

What if the value was bumped $200 for that KG card -- do you think all of a sudden, folks are going to pay that BV?

Beckett does a fine job, and has a stronghold on its market share.

Good luck trying to up-end it

Originally posted by podstock
    you see, the value of cards are subjective.

A card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

How can another new company do better than Beckett?

What if the value was bumped $200 for that KG card -- do you think all of a sudden, folks are going to pay that BV?

Beckett does a fine job, and has a stronghold on its market share.

Good luck trying to up-end it

While that may be true, cards also have trading value. Beckett needs to get realistic on prices.

Tim

SCF Rewards

Beckett serves as a guide. Most people who have a little bit of experience in trading / buying / selling cards know that. that's why on Ebay -- you see cards sell for much less; and a few for much more.

Tim, if you have a better proposition, why not start your own company and see if your ideas will beat out Beckett.

Should you succeed, you become the next Mark Cuban, with $500M or more in assets --- that's worth a try, do you not think?

All you need to do is spend your money (or get others to spend their money) so you can start a new price guide company.

Talk is talk.

But a person who walks the walk can make some $$$$$$$$$$$$

I have given serious thought to it, but there's too much work involved. I'm too busy with work, etc. to try and start a price guide.

Tim

SCF Rewards

remember, the road to riches takes a long time.

unless you're anna nicole smith and you marry an 80-y/o oil magnate with a bad heart, or you win Superball Lottery.

Did you honestly think you can come up with a better price guide than Beckett?

I sure couldn't do it myself.

No matter what changes you make, it's still a price guide, and your prices stilll wouln't be etched in stone. Others would ™™™™™™ about YOUR prices being too high or too low

SCF Rewards
    See radioheadfloyd's Items on eBay

The whole problem with a price guide is that collectors want to see high prices with their cards, so if you lowball the prices more people will diss your guide. I think this is why Beckett is high, as well as the fact that the card companies probably put some pressure on them as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See yoda5's Items on eBay

There was a day when you could actually get 75% to 100& of Beckett for your cards. Back in the late 80's early 90's when I used to do shows every weekend, prices were in line with what Beckett had printed even more on some cards. If they really do that research on getting prices then why do some of them never move. One more thing to add, I find it funny when they have up arrows on some no name common for every year that player appeared in a set. I see that with the vintage sets. I say, who the hell is buying this card so much that it causes the price to go up.

Originally posted by john1170
    There was a day when you could actually get 75% to 100& of Beckett for your cards. Back in the late 80's early 90's when I used to do shows every weekend, prices were in line with what Beckett had printed even more on some cards. If they really do that research on getting prices then why do some of them never move. One more thing to add, I find it funny when they have up arrows on some no name common for every year that player appeared in a set. I see that with the vintage sets. I say, who the hell is buying this card so much that it causes the price to go up.

I've sometimes wondered if the insiders at Beckett raise prices on certain cards because some big-named employees own the cards?

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast