Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this bother you?

Does this bother you?

I have noticed in recent months a growing trend in some of the trading negotiations I have been a part of. I find more and more people trying to trade their cards with a "fantasy football strategy". For years in fantasy football I've dealt with people who want to trade me three mediocre players for my superstar player. I've always wondered to myself "what kind of fool do they think I am" when I have received these trade proposals. However, now it seems to be spilling over onto the sports card trading arena as well. No one seems to want to trade a $100 card out of their collection for a $100 card out of someone elses collection. Intead they want to offer you three $20 cards and a $40 card for your $100 card. And if you ask for a high end card out of their collection that you like, they scoff as though it's out of the question that they would actually trade on even terms. It is almost as if they take the attitude, "how dare you try to get something good out of my collection!" It bothers me that some people want to pick the cream of the crop out of your collection, but only trade you the middle or lower end of their collection for it. And I am not saying it's an exclusive thing to this site. I trade on several and it seems to be the growing trend on all the sites out there. Has anyone else noticed this in their trading? I can name a lot of great traders I have made some great deals with on this site and others. Trades in which both sides came out with something they wanted for their collection or even as future trade bait, but the trade was fair and balanced for both parties. I just wish we had more traders out there that would trade in this manner. Sorry for the long rant, but thanks for reading.

I agree with you, it can be very frustrating. I will admit that I am victim of this myself BUT I either note or offer well above the value of the card if the person wants to listen to my offer. I try and look at it as the ole golden rule. Treat or in this case trade with others as youd like them to trade with you. It does bug me though when its brought up without really saying much. Everything has a price but I go above and beyond the limit for my stuff and expect the same if Im giving it up. Thats the idea behind a PC, you are meant to really keep the cards for yourself because thats what you WANT not because its the hot thing in the hobby.

Exactly. I'm glad you responded to this thread because our recent trade is a great example. I had a $50 Nitschke/R. White dual jsy you liked. I live in Louisiana and you had a $50 GU of hometown man Terry Bradshaw. It was a great even trade in which both sides got exactly what they wanted in return. I wish more trades would go like that one!

4. Check out the deals at Bear Ridge Collectibles eBay Store
    I hear ya, some people try to get more out of the deal most of the time. I have to deal with it evertime I try to trade for one of set wants. For example I'll ask to trade for a bv30 Drew Bledsoe 2000 Fleer Feel the Game gu, and some one will say they are interested in my Emmit Smith, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, or some HOFer gu that has an equivalent bv; when in fact I have plenty of other semistar or star player gu's with the same bv.
    As for trading down, I share the same sentiments; however is really easy to.... "just say no"

Quote Originally Posted by GriffithCW
    Exactly. I'm glad you responded to this thread because our recent trade is a great example. I had a $50 Nitschke/R. White dual jsy you liked. I live in Louisiana and you had a $50 GU of hometown man Terry Bradshaw. It was a great even trade in which both sides got exactly what they wanted in return. I wish more trades would go like that one!
    Hell yeah, it was the perfect trade :D

Here is my most humble opinion. How many folks on this site do you think run a fulltime or parttime buisness selling cards in a shop, ebay or shows. I am thinking quite a few. Just like at at card shop or at a show they are wanting the most profitable cards you have for the least profitable ones they have. It is all about making money to these people. They know they can trade me 5 $20 calhoun autos/gu for my 100 dollar vince young auto/gu and make a lot more cash off the Young. These are the folks who could care less about any PC or being fair. They want what they want and will do what is takes to get it. That is my humble opinion.

Agreed, but it's a simple fix.

I trade 3 for 1 like you, so I can't see how we are going to be able to agree on a trade ;)

BUT...When I want to aquire a card that fits my collection, I will trade my high-end(which hopefully fits the other traders likes) for like valued high-end.
    Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.
    As of May 2017 ~ STILL Collect the following --> ALL 01-04 UD SP Legendary cuts Mlb G/U *Also, Topps insert Sp's.
    1985T Mlb mini's issue(Canadian release)
    Vintage & Modern issues: Have old school players but want current players? I may want them, please Pm me.Thank You | GINTER G/U

Im ususally very leniat with stuff

I traded
    Deuce Mccallister auto /15
    for
    Kevin jones patch /25
    and
    Marquis daniels auto

i dont have a problem with trading down.... if i have a hundred dollar joe montana patch (which i had at one time) but i dont A. collect football or B. have any use for it i would rather have a few white sox autos and GU then the montana

everybody has brought up some great points. one more thing that i think is more and more young kids are starting to come on to these forums. They don't have very high end cards but would like to trade up for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast