Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Netminder

Best Netminder

Just wondering who everyone thinks is the best goaltender period! Modern day....?

2. Kronozio
    To me, Patrick Roy no doubt. Clutch performer when it counts, 4 cups, 3 Conn Smythe and well, to me he is hockey. I grew up watching him and I will never forget some of the games I saw on telly, or is first one back in Montreal with the Avs I had made the trip to Montreal for the occasion and I certainly didnt regret it.

I'm thinking Peter Ing. lol JK

I think you could toss up Roy or Brodeur. Both have been consistent, healthy and had strong teams to work with. But if I had to pick one it would be Roy. Just due to his level of play in such a huge media center. And the '93 cup run with all those overtime wins. Wow

Roy - http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/roy.html
    Brodeur - http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/brodeurm.html
    JMO
    Last edited by hossa18sens; 06-05-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    WTTF :
    Erik Karlsson/Marian Hossa/Billy Smith/Curtis Lazar Rookies

Hidden Content

I'm going to have to go with Racicot. No one was better at turning on that red light. Carey Price is coming close though...hahahaha.

Thats right I said it.

Vladislav Tretiak,Tony Espositio and Patrick Roy

The way I see it. Take any of the above players, and stick them in any given era with the tools of the game, and you would most likely see the best goalies ever.

I can't imagine Tretiak in today's game with the super light goalie gear!!

I depends on what you mean by the 'Modern Era'.

Of the few serious answers I've seen so far... I'd have to agree with Roy, and definitely not Brodeur (simply put, I think Roy was far better than Brodeur).

Esposito and Tretiak are interesting names to throw out..... but I have a hard time trying to compare them with today's goalies. The game play, equipment, and conditioning has changed so much since the 1970s that the comparison isn't very fair.

It depends. Career wise by the time Brodeur retires I think he easily takes the title for best overall career just because his play in International tournaments blows away anything Roy did. Overall though the most purely dominant goalie I've ever seen was Hasek.

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan View Post
    I depends on what you mean by the 'Modern Era'.

Of the few serious answers I've seen so far... I'd have to agree with Roy, and definitely not Brodeur (simply put, I think Roy was far better than Brodeur).

Esposito and Tretiak are interesting names to throw out..... but I have a hard time trying to compare them with today's goalies. The game play, equipment, and conditioning has changed so much since the 1970s that the comparison isn't very fair.

I am not being team biased here at all. How can you not put in a nod to Brodeur....dont his numbers count for anything? I also dont thinks its fair to compare Brodeur and Roy. Yes they both played in the "modern Era"
    but actually the 6 years difference in the years they played are crucial years. The Game has changed, dramatically. So its not apples to apples comparing them.......I do like the thought of putting Tretiak in the conversation though. He was UNREAL

Before I go any farther.... I also want to point out: I feel I'm about as unbiased as you can get here. Really, for all the praise I give to Patrick Roy.... I absolutely HATED him when he played. Brodeur, I guess I'm kinda indifferent to. I've never been a huge fan, but never had the hate on for him like I used to have for Roy.

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing Brodeur (the only goalie I really save that for is Luongo...... who I'm convinced is the most over rated player in the league, and shouldn't be anywhere near the 2010 Canada team.... unless he wants to buy a ticket).

If the question was "who are the best 5 goalies of the modern era", without at doubt I'd have started that list off with Roy, then Brodeur. I don't think being the 2nd best goalie of the last 3 decades is a bad thing :)

I'm not trying to diminish his stats, and I do agree with you. While there are a lot of overlap years between the two, Brodeur has played much longer (he's still active) into this decade, and Roy started 8 years before Marty did. (I think that's right). Is that going to change things?? Well, yes. I think any of us making the comparison have to use a little bit of perspective.

What seals the deal for me, putting Roy over Brodeur, is that while Brodeur was a great goalie who won cups on some good teams.... I think Roy was a great goalie who won cups on some very average teams. The 1986 Habs, and 1993 Habs.... IMO.... are no where near as talented as any of the Devils squads Brodeur won with.

Quote Originally Posted by devilshockey1967 View Post
    I am not being team biased here at all. How can you not put in a nod to Brodeur....dont his numbers count for anything? I also dont thinks its fair to compare Brodeur and Roy. Yes they both played in the "modern Era"
    but actually the 6 years difference in the years they played are crucial years. The Game has changed, dramatically. So its not apples to apples comparing them.......I do like the thought of putting Tretiak in the conversation though. He was UNREAL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast