Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Season Chit Chat

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

lol. Yeah. Martin is making big coin, and I'm sure Letang sees himself as the better player, so 6.5 is going to be a must for him.

Iggy is an intresting one. Eveyone says the Pens can't afford him.... but I'm not so sure.

Really - how much is ANY team going to pay Jarome Iginla?

He is no longer a reliable enough scorer to play in the top 6 on a decent team. That's not a knock against him, just a reflection of the fact that he's 36 years old, and many years of a very physical game have caught up with him.

Now, consider this. Iggy (IMO) is only going to sign with a contender, and probably only a 1 year contract (and may just keep re-upping until he wins, or he's done). He's made nearly $70m in his career.... so is he really going to sign somewhere like (as an example) Nashville, for $3m, when he could probably stay in Pittsburgh for half that? He picked his own suitor when being traded, so he obviously thinks that playing with Crosby & Maklin gives him a great chance of winning (no gaurentees anywhere he signs). I would also think that out of respect for the Flames, Iginla probably stays in the East (so not to be playing against them nearly as much). If he's going to sign with a contender..... that would be the Pens, Bruins (but burnt that bridge?), and then who?? Rangers?? Flyers?? Caps??

Agreed, the Bruins were skating circles around him. Heck the games were moving so fast that he seldom could complete a shift.

At this point, Iggy is probably approaching the game the way Kariya and Selanne did for that fateful season or 2. Chose the team with the best chance and not really bother about the cash.

If he was willing to accept 1 Mil Per, then the Pens don't have a worry, he can re-up as long as he isn't a burden on the roster.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

Apparently Letang has turned down an 8 Year $56M to stay in Pittsburgh.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426488

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Thats 7 Mil per season, and he turned that down? I'd say based on that, he does not want to play there. No way does this guy get 8, who'd going to pay him that?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thats 7 Mil per season, and he turned that down? I'd say based on that, he does not want to play there. No way does this guy get 8, who'd going to pay him that?

Paul Holmgren and the Flyers lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aspencer528's Items on eBay

Hahaha that's pretty funny. Phaneufs contract is up at seasons end, in a dream world be nice to see the leafs trade him home to Edmonton and get gagner or Paarjarvi in return, gagner would be best as bozaks replacement. Hopefully Letang becomes a Ufa after the season and will sign as a leaf for 2014-15+. The leafs have a serious shot at challenging for a cup in a few years as long as they don't empty the cupboards. Burke left this team in good condition, hate him all you want. And if Bernier turns out to be the next Marty Brodeur then the leafs have another huge trade asset in Reimer, and if he don't they have a solid starter in Reimer.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hahaha that's pretty funny. Phaneufs contract is up at seasons end, in a dream world be nice to see the leafs trade him home to Edmonton and get gagner or Paarjarvi in return, gagner would be best as bozaks replacement. Hopefully Letang becomes a Ufa after the season and will sign as a leaf for 2014-15+. The leafs have a serious shot at challenging for a cup in a few years as long as they don't empty the cupboards. Burke left this team in good condition, hate him all you want. And if Bernier turns out to be the next Marty Brodeur then the leafs have another huge trade asset in Reimer, and if he don't they have a solid starter in Reimer.

Sounds good to me lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

According to Letangs agent (taken off an article on NHL.com)
    "Letang, a finalist for the Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defenseman,declined an eight-year contract that would have paid him around $54 million, sources told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. However, his agent, Kent Hughes, stressed late Thursday that Letang remains only interested in playing for the Penguins."

If he wants to play in Pittsburgh why the hell didn't he take the 7 Million and run??? I'm still scratching my head on what Letang is thinking passing that deal up as even he has to know he's not worth 7, maybe 5 on a good day but nowhere near 7.

SCF Rewards
    Country

And if Bernier turns out to be the next Marty Brodeur then the leafs have another huge trade asset in Reimer, and if he don't they have a solid starter in Reimer.

Woah, woah... easy now. I'm a huge Leafs fan but I think that most of Leafs Nation needs to calm down about Bernier. What people seem to be forgetting is that he's been a backup his entire career; however, most Leafs fans think he's going to be a Vezina contender. He's not. I doubt that he'll even get more starts than Reimer in 2013-14.

Reimer was named team MVP by The Hockey News for a reason. I love to be optimistic about pretty much everything, but I try to stay realistic at the same time, and right now there's absolutely nothing indicating that Bernier is even going to be a starter. And to be the next Martin Brodeur, you need to have been a starter since around the age of 20 and a "name" since at least 16.

With that being said... go Leafs, go! Reimer as No. 1! Haha.

-Ethan

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aspencer528's Items on eBay

Woah, woah... easy now. I'm a huge Leafs fan but I think that most of Leafs Nation needs to calm down about Bernier. What people seem to be forgetting is that he's been a backup his entire career; however, most Leafs fans think he's going to be a Vezina contender. He's not. I doubt that he'll even get more starts than Reimer in 2013-14.

Reimer was named team MVP by The Hockey News for a reason. I love to be optimistic about pretty much everything, but I try to stay realistic at the same time, and right now there's absolutely nothing indicating that Bernier is even going to be a starter. And to be the next Martin Brodeur, you need to have been a starter since around the age of 20 and a "name" since at least 16.

With that being said... go Leafs, go! Reimer as No. 1! Haha.

-Ethan

lol. I was giving best case scenario. I love Reimer and think if he hadn't got injured he would have been in a running for the vezina. I was disappointed they gave up scrivens and frattin(but that may have had something to do with the hobby) I like them both. But I do believe Bernier is more then just a backup and he was drafted 11 overall, and was talked a lot about in jr. ....and remember Hasek was a backup to Belfour before buffalo snagged him, and we all know how that backup turned out.

SCF Rewards
    Country

lol. I was giving best case scenario. I love Reimer and think if he hadn't got injured he would have been in a running for the vezina. I was disappointed they gave up scrivens and frattin(but that may have had something to do with the hobby) I like them both. But I do believe Bernier is more then just a backup and he was drafted 11 overall, and was talked a lot about in jr. ....and remember Hasek was a backup to Belfour before buffalo snagged him, and we all know how that backup turned out.

Certainly, but Hasek's rise to stardom cannot be compared to Brodeur's whatsoever. Hasek didn't come over to the NHL at an early age because he was in Czechoslovakia under the Iron Curtain. He debuted at age 16 in the best Czechoslovakian league, and trust me, to be a starter in what was back then one of the world's greatest leagues at age 16 is something you can be proud of.

Had Hasek not been born in a communistic regime, he would've been selected much, much earlier in the draft and been a starter pretty much from the get-go. He might've even gotten selected earlier than Bernier at 11th.

Of course I hope that Bernier is going to turn out as a steal for us Maple Leafs, but I don't dare have high hopes for someone who hasn't proven himself on the stage that matters the most, the NHL. I watched a "highlight" video of him on NHL.com, and it was roughly a minute long and only seemed to feature mediocre saves from a single game versus Calgary, pretty much as if there was nothing else to choose from. That kind of worried me. Sure, he was great in juniors, but so are so many others that fail in the NHL. Being drafted 11th or even earlier doesn't always translate into success (just ask Bryan Berard, Chris Gratton and Patrik Stefan).

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast